Pages

Bat Wing Headband Tutorial

Hello my Little Darklings.

Today I'm bringing you my first crafting project on this site. I decided that I wanted to do a project that would go along with the GIY theme for this month, which is "Things with Wings." I came up with something that is dear to my heart; Headbands. I love wearing goofy stuff on my head, so this sounded like the perfect time to make something absolutely silly, and still able to be gothed up, depending on how you make it. I didn't make mine too out there. I used really simple materials that you can get just about anywhere.

http://gothityourself.blogspot.com/p/craft-along-with-giy.html


Here are my Materials (some not shown in picture unfortunately):
  • thin eva foam
  • acrylic paint
  • paintbrushes
  • low temp hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • headband
  • butcher paper or something to make a paper pattern
  • mod podge
  • ruler
  • box knife or exacto knife




Steps


Step One: Make pattern for the wings to attach to your headband. You can make these in any shape you want, but I chose to do a bat wing for my head. (The purple tentacle is my favorite pen)




Step Two: Cut out the pattern.







Step Three: Trace onto foam.

Step Four: Cut out the foam shape. You can do this with a sharp knife or the scissors. Be careful!

Step Five: Score the foam around the base so that it has a large v shape. This v shape will make an excellent reservoir for the hot glue that we will be using.







Step Six: Hot glue the scored area together so that it is at a 90 degree angle.







Step Seven: Mod Podge the wings to stiffen them up and so that the foam holds paint. Otherwise, the foam will absorb the paint and it will not look as cute.





Step Eight: Wait for about 15 minutes to dry each time you put a layer on. I did a layer on both the front and the back.


Step Nine: Paint on the Details.



Step Ten: Glue the wings onto the headband and wait until it dries. Then enjoy the end product!




Hope you guys enjoy! I'd love to see your versions. Please feel free to send me links or comment below. I can't wait to see what you have going.


Lots of love,
Vyvyan Wormwood
The Mind Behind the Darkest Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lords of Acid 11-3-2017

Greetings my little Darklings and Snarklings! I just wanted to talk a little bit about a concert that I went to Friday 11-03-2017. The hea...