Pages

Glitter Pumpkin DIY Challenge

Hey there my little Darklings and Snarklings!

I was on my lovely Amino app on my phone and it asked us to do a weekend challenge with glitter. So I decided that I would do a simple but cute little project with some things that I have around the house and a LOOOOOT of glitter. Glitter's got such a bad rap, but I still like it. Yes I'm goth, leave me alone. LOL

So for my little glitter pumpkin I needed to use the following tools:


  • 2 empty toilet paper tubes
  • mod podge
  • a small stick
  • black paint
  • translucent glitter
  • scissors
  • newspaper to put down
  • a plate to transfer things on
  • a paintbrush
  • some yarn or twine to tie it together

Here are the steps:

Step 1. Paint your toilet paper tube or paper towel tube whatever colour you want. I used black paint so it would match the rest of the decor of my house.





 Step 2: Cut your tubes into little rings. This step is hard to do without bending them slightly. Mine bent quite a bit so I had to "fluff" them. Also: You do not have to have a cat like it is included in my picture. That's just one of my cats, Cotton Puff, who likes to help.



Step 3. Tie your string through the center of your rings. It will help if you can get them to sit adjacent to each other. If they each have their own room to sit, they will look more pumpkin-y. I used a grey yarn. You can see the knot just in the back of my pumpkin.I did a square knot. After that, take a hot glue gun and your stick and glue it in/through the center where all the rings meet. Make sure that your rings are in a really nice order~!



Step 4: Now it's time to do the glitter. I put a piece of newspaper down first, and then I put down a plate to catch the glitter so I could reuse whatever fell off and didn't work. Use the mod podge or elmer's white school glue (you could use glitter glue for an added effect I bet) and a paint brush to brush the glue or podge on. Then pour the glitter onto the spots that have the glue or podge.


note: I added more glitter on after I was done with this layer and it looked more like this:



Step 5: Allow to dry and enjoy the final product! You can make tons of these little guys for holidays like Halloween, Samhain, Dia de los Muertos, or even Thanksgiving! I bet you could make some really ornate ones for Dia de los Muertos.



Doesn't it look cute? I love pumpkins. I might make a pumpkin pie with real pumpkin this year. Or maybe a pumpkin cake. Good stuff!


Happy crafting!
Vyvyan Wormwood
The Mind Behind The Darkest Designs



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lords of Acid 11-3-2017

Greetings my little Darklings and Snarklings! I just wanted to talk a little bit about a concert that I went to Friday 11-03-2017. The hea...